New Hybrids for 2013 Planting
Editor’s Note: The following listings provide brief descriptions of sunflower hybrids that are available for planting in 2013 for the first time, or were available in only limited quantities in 2012. Companies obviously have additional varieties for sale as well as those listed here. Also, some seed suppliers have indicated they will not be offering any new hybrids for 2013, so those firms are not represented in this article. For more details on any hybrid, visit the listed company website or contact your local sales representative.
Hybrid information was provided by the respective seed companies. The Sunflower has edited some listings for brevity and/or style.
• RH1130-EX is a mid- to full-season, mid-height ExpressSun® confection hybrid that produces large seed for the in-shell market. RH1130 has good general plant health and standability. Limited quantities will be available for 2013.
• 432 E is CROPLAN’s earliest ExpressSun hybrid. This NuSun hybrid has fast drydown and excellent tolerance to root lodging. The short-statured hybrid delivers excellent yield potential with large seed. 432 E is very uniform and will be a great companion to 460 E,NS. This hybrid protects with the Pl 8 downy mildew trait and is CROPLAN’s first ExpressSun hybrid protecting from common downy mildew races.
• 8C451CP is a hybrid featuring Clearfield® Plus technology for expanded weed control options. Widely adapted throughout all U.S. sunflower growing regions, this full-season hybrid is a top choice for confection processors with its large seed size and attractive seed color.
• 8D310CL is a conoil hybrid featuring Clearfield herbicide technology. This midseason hybrid offers exceptional yield and resistance to environmental stress. 8D310CL is bred primarily for the dehulling market.
• 8D417 is a superior medium full-season conoil hybrid with excellent dehulling properties. A shorter sunflower, 8D417 offers outstanding yield for its maturity and is suitable for the NuSun and dehulling markets.
• E-34 CL is a conventional Clearfield hybrid for the hulling market, featuring a good disease package.
• E-362436, DMR is a good-looking high-oleic hybrid that can be used as a huller. It possesses good stress tolerance.
• Camaro II is a medium-maturing, single-cross Clearfield hybrid with stacked resistance to multiple races of downy mildew. It has shown improved Sclerotinia head rot tolerance and has good stalk and root strength. Camaro II fits both the northern and southern sunflower production regions and is suited to both the NuSun and bird food markets.
• Cobalt II is a very uniform, shorter-stature, Clearfield high-oleic single-cross hybrid with resistance to multiple races of downy mildew. Its early maturity, short stature and improved disease resistance make it a perfect hybrid adapted to shorter growing season environments, late planting situations or as a double-crop option. Cobalt II also exhibits improved tolerance to Phomopsis and Sclerotinia head rot.
• D9592CL is a single-cross, mid-length confection sunflower hybrid with Clearfield herbicide technology. It has improved seed size, length and color. Average days to bloom is 70 days, plant height 70 inches. D9592CL has excellent yield response and is available with CruiserMaxx® and flow-aid seed technology.
• DO-4421SS is a short-stature, single-cross conoil variety that combines uniformity and yield across a wide range of environments.
• 7111 HO/CL/DM consistently delivers oleic levels over 85% to enable growers to capitalize on premium high-oleic contracts. In addition, it provides excellent standability, strong tolerance to downy mildew and Clearfield technology. One of the earliest-maturing hybrids, it also allows growers to reap crop rotation benefits.
• Triumph 662 is a traditional-height NuSun hybrid offering excellent yield potential with good oil content. It has shown excellent seedset as well as standability.
• Triumph 651CLD is a traditional-height NuSun hybrid with reliable weed control of the Clearfield production system. This hybrid has produced good oil yields with great NuSun values. It exhibits tolerance to downy mildew and rust.
• Triumph 849CLD is a traditional-height high-oleic Clearfield hybrid. It offers excellent yield potential with great oleic values and is downy mildew-tolerant. At 90 to 100 days, 849CLD is slightly earlier than Triumph 859CL.
• Triumph 755C is a 100- to 110-day confection hybrid with a slightly longer seed type and dark, black hull. It offers excellent yield potential and test weight.
• Triumph 751C is an earlier confection hybrid at 98 to 108 days. It has great yield potential and uniform seed size. Its hull is dark with clean white margins.
Back to Magazine